Thursday, August 1, 2013

My Grass is Green...on THIS side!

Growing up I always thought of that saying "The grass is always greener on the other side," as something nice.  Has a nice flow to it, you can apply it to your life and it gives you motivation to work to harder.  When life was tough, it just spilled out, and gave you a dream.  But in reality is it a motivation or is it envy;  or are we downplaying the positives we have in our own lives now?

That phrase refers to people always looking to the other side of the fence, thinking that their "grass" is greener than their own, envying what others have, wishing they were in their shoes, comparing their lives with others, always thinking that someone has it better.

Well then there's another saying "the grass isn't greener on the other side, it's greener where you water it."  Now THIS is a whole different perspective that I like much better.  Why envy the life of your neighbor when you can look at all the great and amazing things you have in your life now.  Or you can work on making YOUR "grass greener" so it suits YOU, and not by others' influence.  "Man, I wish I had that guy's new Lexus"...well, you can be happy you have a car, or a bike, or functional legs to walk. "Ugh, she got straight A's again, why can't I be that smart"...think of the pressure she may be under if she got less than perfect.

I want to believe that even if I don't have much, or the ability to get the newest and latest products, or if maybe life is in a tough spot, or if I'm having problems finding a job, or finding it tough to take a break from my job, maybe I'm too fat, I'm too skinny, I hate my hair, I'm too tall, I'm too short, I'll never get married, my spouse drives me nuts, I have a broke down car, I can't afford this or that, I didn't get the loan for the house I wanted, etc. etc. etc., that I can still be happy with all the other million great things I DO have and every single blessing that IS happening in my life.  Don't take those things for granted.  Yes, sometimes life if tough, we don't always get what we want, we THINK others always have it better, but I also know that there is ALWAYS an up side to everything,  and it isn't on the other side of the fence, it's right under your nose, you just have to realize it.

I know that it is always easier said than done, but WE have the ability to turn all those negatives into positives.  And sometimes, maybe it isn't all that bad looking over the fence, but that's if we do actually see it as motivation rather than envy.  Then this means that we can live our lives differently and how we want...not letting other's lifestyles dictate our emotions.  I don't want to live my life always looking over the fence and envying what they have, I want to know and realize what I have, and be completely satisfied.  With realization, motivation, satisfaction, confidence, honesty and humility...I think you'll see that your grass is green on your side too!  And just think, if you're looking to the other side thinking their grass is greener, they may actually be doing the same.

-Rubi Anne Dijamco-Agostini

No comments:

Post a Comment