Saturday, January 19, 2013

It's The Hard That Makes It Great

For those of us who started New Year’s resolutions (especially healthy ones)and have stuck with them, congratulations!  Just a few more days and those resolutions will become habits.  For those of us who have slacked off, let’s pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start again, 2013 is NOT for quitters!!  We can do this.  For those of us who still have not started, no worries, we can start today, because it’s NEVER too late.

There have been many times where I’ve faced some things that have seemed too overwhelming to accomplish especially when in the midst of it.  I remember after having my first son, during the first few weeks I thought to myself, “What have I got myself into??? I’m NEVER going to get any sleep! I’m NEVER going to have any time to tend to my own needs!  I’m NEVER going to get this breastfeeding thing down……”

I recall the many times I’ve decided to lose weight.  I’d think, “Oh, I’m NEVER going to lose all of that!”, “I’m going to have to starve myself!” “I’m NEVER going to find enough time to exercise as much as I need to”.

The day I decided to go back to school, I cried, “I’m too old for this!”, “I’m not smart enough” “I don’t have time for this.  It’s going to take too long!!!”  Blah, blah, blah......

There were times that I quit (which explains why I had to go back to school) but the only times worth talking about are when I persevered.  What I finally realized is that all those tough times were temporary.  My son grew out of his neediness, I did lose weight, and I finally passed ALL of the math classes I needed to fulfill requirements (just this last December, I might add!!).   I know.  It’s hard. But remember the scene in the movie, A League of Their Own?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndL7y0MIRE4 It’s the hard that makes it great. 

I know you’ve got your own inspiring stories of perseverance.  Please feel free to post yours in the comment section any time.  I want this blog to be an open forum for us to encourage each other.  Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

-Tessa L. Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment