Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tag That Tongue

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I worked in the women’s fitness realm for quite some time.  I loved the opportunity to encourage women to help them become free from the mindsets of who they WEREN’T.  The mindsets were not just physical, but emotional and psychological as well.  Many times the women who joined had reached a low point in their self-esteem, and their language about themselves often reflected their exasperation.  Often, even on their first visit, I’d have to firmly set some ground rules regarding their words.  I’d look them dead in the eye and tell them that when they were in my place of business I would not allow anyone to speak unkindly towards them, including themselves.  Most women became familiar with my “policy” and also would not allow others to speak unkindly towards themselves,   I have to say, the women at that facility really are so very encouraging and loving; they are very much the epitome of grace.

I know that I’ve been blogging mostly about saying unkind things about ourselves; that was intentional.  I have learned that I need to begin to change my language towards myself first before I can do so for others, but let me set forth a challenge this New Year starting today.  When we hear a co-worker, friend, parent, child, spouse anyone we care about saying negative things about themselves, let's call them on it, tell them to stop and instead, give them something positive to say.  If they continue being destructive, we'll get in their face and tell them that just as we will not allow anyone to say anything derogatory about them, we also will not allow them to be derogatory towards themselves.  And remember, let's practice what we preach. 

We are awesome, we were made for this, and we will succeed,  I just know it!  Have a great day.

-Tessa L. Charles

2 comments:

  1. Preach it, sister! Thanks. Your words to the ladies are just as important and applicable to the gents. Right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Please feel free to contribute any time. My hope is that this can be a safe forum for us to encourage each other. I know you all have amazing stories and experiences. Let's make this blog interactive.

    ReplyDelete