Monday, April 1, 2013

And That's The Truth

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend.  Easter is one of my favorite holidays because it happens at a wonderful time of year, spring, when things are new again.  My irises, that remind me of the friend who gave them to me from her own garden, pop out their beautiful colors.  The fig “sticks” that my Mom gave me 3 years ago are little trees that are now taller than me.
I’ve heard it said, “History repeats itself” and “Past behavior will predict future behavior” and I believe that those sayings exist because they seem to have been proven true.  However, lately, I have come to believe that we don’t necessarily have to accept those sayings as truth. The difference between what is true and what is truth is this: What is true is what we can see and prove at the moment.  What is the truth, however, is often something that we don’t see but what we know is destined.
What was true at the moment of implantation of my iris bulbs was that they were just ugly brown, wrinkly things, but I knew the truth was that they were destined to be beautiful iris plants and flowers which is why I planted them with appropriate space in between.  When I planted the fig trees what was true was that they were literally just STICKS, but the truth was that they had potential to be huge, fruit bearing trees. 
So, as you can see, history doesn’t necessarily have to “repeat” itself.  The iris bulbs didn’t just grow into more bulbs, the sticks didn’t just perpetuate sticks, they became what they were destined to be, their states changed. 
Like those plants, what has happened in our past, what we look like now, is NOT the truth of who we are; it just may be what is true right now.  Taken one step further, what we see that is true about another person now, today, isn’t necessarily the truth of who they are.  The challenge is, to give each of us some time and space to become who we were meant to be and to see each other with eyes that can see the potential and destiny within us all.  You’re all awesome, and that’s the truth!

-Tessa L. Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment