Friday, February 8, 2013

Celebrate Good Times, Come On!


Ok, I know I wanted to emphasize pet peeves this week, but I just can’t take another day of it!  I want to end the week with something positive, a cleansing “breather” before the weekend.

I was listening to a podcast this morning and I wanted to pass along a little something I heard.   I have to admit, this wasn’t the first time I have heard this recently, but honestly, I’m still in the process of integrating it into my life.   The message was about starting this year with a new mindset of prosperity (and who couldn’t use that?).  Here’s the part that I’ve been processing.  Did you know that part of opening yourself to a prosperous life is to genuinely celebrate the accomplishments of others?  I say “genuinely” because I have to admit, sometimes I put on a happy face when someone gets something new or gets recognized for something they’ve done, but inside I’m envious or jealous or I inwardly think that they don’t deserve recognition  because of whatever stupid reason I can attempt to rationalize to myself at the moment.  I know, it’s ugly and I’m almost sure no one else does it but me, right?

I haven’t quite worked out the mechanics of why being happy for someone else opens up prosperity for me, so I welcome your thoughts, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:  I DO know the opposite to be true, if I am acting like a “Negative Nancy” (apologies if your name is Nancy, I’m sure you’re a wonderful person!) I shut myself off from the good things of life.  People don’t want to be around a negative person let alone think of them when a good opportunity comes along, or invite that person to a special event for fear that person will “rain on their parade”.  Negative people plain and simple miss out.  So if that’s true, then I’m thinking the opposite must also be true; positive people are exposed to the “good things” of life and don’t miss out and so are open to good opportunities. 

Also, even if a “Debbie Downer” (again, apologies), is presented with an awesome opportunity, she is more likely to talk herself out of it focusing on the possible “down” side of that opportunity instead of being willing to take a risk and enjoying the ride.  Can you think of more reasons?

Ok, I know I said I wanted to end this week on a positive note, and so here is what I’m going to do, and I invite you to join me.  From now on, when some dear person shares with me their accomplishments, I’m going to genuinely celebrate with them, and by “genuinely” I mean that even if I don’t feel “genuine” at first, I will practice being genuine until it happens naturally.  Then, I will take captive any envious thoughts and not allow them into my heart.  Next,  I will purposely think and say that they deserve it, because they do, as do we all.  Sounds like a plan!

Have a wonderful weekend, all!

-Tessa L. Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment